- Version 1.21.442
- Download 300722
- File Size 4 MB
- File Count 1
- Create Date October 13, 2022
- Last Updated March 15, 2023
ViGEmBus Driver Installation and Download Guide – Framework Driver for DS4Windows
When it comes to DS4Windows, there are some drivers without which you cannot run the software and enjoy the virtual emulation of the controllers.
One such driver is the ViGEmBus which is short for Virtual Gamepad Emulation Framework.
This driver when installed ensures 100% accuracy in emulating a virtual or a fake gamepad so that gamers can enjoy playing games using their DS4 or DS5 controllers.
ViGEmBus is an integral part of DS4Win without which you cannot run the application properly.
This guide, therefore, includes the download and installation guide for the driver along with some other tips to help fellow gamers out.
Have a look, without any further ado:
Virtual Gamepad Emulation Framework for DS4Windows – Downloading and Installing ViGEmBus Driver
Representing the core of the virtual gamepad emulation framework, the ViGEmBus driver and ViGEmclient libraries ensure accurate emulation of the renowned gaming peripherals.
The emulation is 100% accurate for the peripherals that are developed at kernel level.
Once downloaded, installed, and integrated with DS4Windows, gamers won't need any additional modification while connecting their gaming devices to the PC or a laptop.
Known in the past by Scarlett Crush Productions as the Virtual Bus Driver, the latest ViGEm project is its improved and upgraded version. It has been created while utilizing
Microsoft's very own Kernel-Mode Driver Framework.
After you download the ViGEmBus driver setup from this page, follow its installation guide below:
Installation of ViGEmBus Driver to Run DS4Windows
After clicking on download according to your system version, you will see a file named ViGEmBusSetup_xXX.msi downloaded on your browser.
Simply open the setup and then follow the instructions to install the drivers on your PC.
Up until now, you have successfully installed the driver. Run your DS4Windows app and connect the controller accordingly.
In case you are facing problems with the driver, follow this troubleshooting guide below:
Troubleshooting Guide for ViGEmBus Driver
Let us start with the basics first:
Supported Emulated Devices
The driver currently supports the following USB gamepads only:
- Sony DualShock 4 Controller
- Sony DualSense X Controller
- Xbox 360 Controller
Common Uses of ViGEmBus Driver
Some of the most common uses include:
- When you want to setup and run the DS4Windows software.
- You have got an unsupported device that you want to connect to the software to run different games.
- You need freedom to use a different controller while playing games in PS4 Remote Play.
- You have got an issue regarding compatibility with the 4.x version of x360ce. In that case, ViGEmBus is used to bypass such problems.
- You can also use the driver to extend the reach of your input controller or a device.
- Other than that, you can also use the driver for testing or benchmarking the game for different purposes including a replay mechanism for the user inputs.
- Last but not the least, you want to counter the issues in XInput while working around the player slot assignment.
Resolving the Issues Related to Installing ViGEmBus Driver
First things first, all the troubleshooting techniques are based on the latest version of the driver.
If you are using an older version, please get it replaced with the latest update to avoid any problems.
Performing General Health Checks
Keep in mind that the driver itself has no user interface like DS4Windows. However, you can still verify whether it’s working perfectly or not.
Open Device Manager on your system by pressing the Win+X command as follows:
Next, click on View tab present at the top and change it to Devices by connection.
After that, look for entries named Nefarius Virtual Gamepad Emulation Bus or simply the Virtual Gamepad Emulation bus.
In case you see more than one entry in that tab, it means your system has multiple versions of the driver installed. To prevent that, simply uninstall the old version.
If you only see the Nefarius entry, then follow the tips below:
Right-click on Nefarius ViGEm and select its Properties.
After a new window pops up, you will see in the General tab that the device is working as intended.
Click on Driver tab and check whether it’s the latest version or not.
If everything is fine, then it means the driver should work perfectly. Mostly the issue arises for the gamers who are using the HP Omen Gaming laptops. If they are encountering problems with the driver, simply follow this guide from the official ViGEm website to resolve the issue.
Why ViGEmBus Driver Causes problems in HP Omen Laptops?
The problem with HP Gaming laptops or desktops is that they have already got an old version of ViGEmBus driver installed, i.e. the 2018 version.
When that happens, apps that are trying to locate the latest driver version may actually detect the old version and that’s when the problem occurs.
Facing a similar situation? Follow this guide on GitHub about ViGEm issues!
Purging Every Old Version of ViGEmBus
If you have countered multiple entries of the driver on your system, it’s time to do some cleaning.
- For that, open Device Manager with the Win+X command and uninstall the older version of the driver. You can follow the official ViGEmBus driver removal guide on it.
- After uninstallation, restart your computer for the changes to be applied successfully.
- Open Device manager again and click on the View tab at top. Followed by that, open the Devices by Connection menu.
- Right-click on each entry with the name Nefarius Virtual Gamepad Emulation Bus and uninstall them accordingly.
Done with that?
Now’s the time to remove entries from the whole system. For that, keep following the steps mentioned below:
- From GitHub, download and install Driver Store Explorer.
- Open it and click the INF bar visible at the top left. This way, the list will get ordered by name.
- Scroll until you find the entries starting with v latter. Mark every entry of vigembus.inf. Make sure that you don't mark anything else to avoid any problems with your system.
- After that, simply mark the Force Deletion checkbox and then click on Deleting the Driver.
- Restart your PC again.
- Verify the entries again after restarting, in the same manner, you found the vigembus.inf entries on Driver Store Explorer.
In case you don’t find any entries, that means you have removed each and everything related to ViGEmBus driver from your operating system.
Simply download and install the driver again from the Download button mentioned above and use it to create emulated gamepads accordingly.
For further issues, follow the community support guide by ViGEmBus and you will find some useful information over there.
That was all about downloading and installing the ViGEmBus driver to make sure that you use DS4windows app without countering any problems.
Simply download and install the driver and open DS4windows to create a virtual gamepad for controllers like DualShock4 or DualSense X.
Follow the troubleshooting guide in case you counter an error with the driver and it will help you with the installation as well.