Connecting a PS4 controller, i.e. a DualShock 4 controller to different platforms including PC, Steam, PlayStation 4 and 5, iPhone, and even Android is not a difficult task.
This guide includes all such techniques that you can apply to connect the controller via USB and Bluetooth.
We will also talk about connecting the PS4 controller through DS4Windows to make things easier for you.
Let’s get started, without any further ado:
How to Connect PS4 Controller to PC in 2022?
Gamer fellas know very well that the DualShock 4 is designed to work with PlayStation 4 and 5 only.
However, if they want to connect it to PC, they will need the following things first:
Requirements for Connecting PS4 Controller to PC
To get started, you will need:
- A DualShock 4 or PS4 controller
- Micro-USB cable for USB connection.
- DualShock 4 Wireless USB Bluetooth adapter if you want a wireless connection
The following softwares are required:
- Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5 and
- Xbox 360 controller drivers only if you still use Windows 7
The reason why we are using so much softwares to connect PS4 controller to the PC is that its DirectInput drivers aren’t compatible with PC.
That’s why, unlike the XInput in Xbox 360 controllers that ensure easy connectivity, the PS4 controllers are a bit hassle to get connected with a gaming PC.
Nevertheless, thanks to Steam and softwares like DS4Windows, connecting a DualShock 4 controller has now become a piece of cake.
Let’s get started with connecting the controller via Steam first followed by other methods.
How to Connect a PS4 Controller to PC via Steam?
The official Steam support allows connecting your PS4 controller directly to the PC without any problem. Check our About Us & FAQs page for brief information.
Only precaution to take here is to plug in the controller before opening Steam or any game on Steam.
This way, Steam will easily recognize the controller. Follow the steps below:
- Open Steam and Go to its Settings visible in top left dropdown.
- From there, open the controller tab.
- Similarly, Click General Controller Settings and register the device to your account.
- Now, change the preferences to calibrating the joysticks.
- Here, check the PlayStation Configuration Support box.
- Last but not the least, remap from Settings Controller tab/in-game.
- That’s how you can connect the DualShock4 on Steam and enjoy games like Tekken over there.
In case you run into connection issues, simply closing and reopening Steam will do the trick. If the problem persists, try inserting the controller’s USB port into USB 2.0 input rather than the 3.0 input.
Enjoy playing different games online on Steam with your gamer friends via DualShock 4 controller.
For more tweaks, you can click Preferences to rename and change the rumble or lighting settings on your controller.
Steam also allows you to calibrate or tune the joystick and gyro. You can control it in the Settings tab without any hassle.
For all these extra configurations, you should tick mark the PlayStation Configuration support to make sure that everything goes smoothly.
Want to utilize your controller to control your desktop too? Simply configure the controller for Big Picture and Desktop usage in Settings menu of Steam and you are good to go.
How to Connect PS4 Controller to Non-Steam Games?
For offline games installed on the desktop, DS4Windows is the only solution to connect your DualShock 4 controller to your PC.
For those who don’t know much about it, the app allows you to create a virtual gamepad that won’t get detected by the games as a PS4 controller.
Hence, you can use the PS4 controller to play non-steam games easily.
To connect your controller via DS4windows, follow these steps or read the complete guide on getting started with DS4Win app.
- Download and Install Microsoft .NET Framework
- If you are using Windows 7, simply download and install the Xbox 360 controller drivers.
- Plug in the controller via USB or Bluetooth Dongle.
- Now, download and extract DS4Windows app.
- Open it and check the connection in Controllers tab.
- First, make sure that you’ve hidden the DS4 controller in Settings tab.
- Set the Use XInput ports to one.
- Connect your controller and edit or create a controller profile.
- Remap the configurations according to your will and wish.
How to Connect PS4 Controller via USB Wireless Bluetooth Adapter?
Connecting the PS4 controller wirelessly is possible if you have bought a Bluetooth dongle.
The steps go as under:
- First, connect the Bluetooth adapter to your PC.
- Hold the share and PS buttons of your controller until it flashes one.
- Similarly, push the dongle button till it flashes.
- Add your controller to the Bluetooth menu.
- Let both devices pair with each other automatically.
To keep using the controller wirelessly, don’t unplug the adapter, or else you will need to redo the steps mentioned above again.
By making the controller connected with Dongle, you can use it without any USB connection.
The steps are same both for Steam as well as non-steam games. Make sure that both devices are paired up so that they can work properly.
Not removing the adapter will save the settings even if you turn off your PC and start it later on.
Keep enjoying wireless connectivity on your controller via Bluetooth Dongle this way.
How to Connect PS4 Controller to PlayStation 4?
Made specifically for PlayStation 4, connecting the DualShock 4 to the device is no big deal.
You cannot connect both devices via Bluetooth, so you’d need a USB cable that connects on one side with the controller and on another side with the PlayStation 4.
Here are some of the ways to connect and sync the controller this way:
How to Sync a PS4 Controller with PlayStation 4
Step 1 involves plugging in the controller with the USB cable. Simply insert the cable into PlayStation 4 and it will connect your controller to the console.
After turning on your console, the controller will automatically get connected to it because of the USB cable.
Simply push the PlayStation button available in the center of the controller and it will activate the controller.
After activation, you will see a login screen on the monitor from where you can choose the player account you want to connect the controller with.
When you see that the LED light bar turns blue on the top of the controller, it means the controller is connected and synced properly. The blue color stands for player 1, red for player 2, green for player 3, and pink for player 4.
Don’t worry about the charging issue too. The cable will automatically charge the controller whenever the light turns yellow.
Configuring DualShock 4 Vibration Settings
If you want the PS4 controller to vibrate, but you don’t feel any vibration, then you should turn it on with following steps:
Settings > Devices > Controllers > Enable Vibration.
Try resetting the controller if it still doesn’t vibrate.
Configuring DualShock 4 Audio Settings
DualShock 4 also allows you to plug in the headphones for an immersive gaming experience.
For some reason, if you cannot hear the audio or if it’s too faint, then do the following things:
- Go to Settings>Devices>Audio Drivers
- Select the Output to Headphones option to All Audio.
- Similarly, highlight the volume control option of the headphones and press the right button on the gaming pad to ensure that the controller volume is high enough.
If you see that the Output to Headphones is greyed out or if you still don’t hear any sound, it means that the controller has not detected the headphones yet.
How to Troubleshoot PS4 Controller?
Here are some of the steps you should follow to troubleshoot your controller:
- When the controller isn’t getting connected to the PC or console, it could be because its battery is not charged.
- Charge it properly and then plug it again via a USB cable or the Bluetooth adapter.
- After connecting the controller, make sure that it’s getting charged and you can check it when the lightbar turns yellow on the controller.
- Try resetting your PS4 controller if it is still not pairing up with Bluetooth or getting connected via USB cable.
- The option could be found in Suitcase icon from the Settings Menu of PlayStation 4.
- In Suitcase Icon go to Devices menu and navigate down it. Choose Bluetooth Devices and in its settings, you will see a list of your controllers there.
- Choose the controller you want to reset and hit the X button on your gamepad.
- Select the Options button on your controller again and in contextual menu, choose Forget Device. Doing so will unpair the controller from your console.
Plug and pair the controller again by following the steps mentioned above and you’d be able to connect and sync your PS4 controller with PlayStation 4 easily.
How to Reset PS4 Controller in Simple and Easy Steps?
If re-pairing does not work, then it’s time to reset your controller once and for all.
Get something thin such as a needle or an unfolded paper clip and follow the steps below:
1. Unplug your PS4 console and turn it on.
2. Locate small reset button on back of the controller. You will find it near the L2 shoulder button.
3. Use the needle to push the button down and hold it for about 3 to 5 seconds.
4. Connect the controller again with the console using a USB cable and then press the PS button.
5. In case the light bar turns blue, this means that the controller has been connected and paired.
If resetting doesn’t work too, do visit the PlayStation Repairs Diagnostic tool and check whether the controller hardware is eligible for warranty repair or not.
How to Connect DualShock 4 to PlayStation 5?
Connecting DualShock 4 with PlayStation 5 is pretty much possible.
Here is everything that you should know before getting started with the whole process:
How Does a PS4 Controller Work with PlayStation 5?
First things first, you should know that a PS4 controller is compatible with PS5 but only under certain conditions.
For instance, the controller will work only on PS4-specific games.
It will not work on the games released specially for PS5.
No matter how hard you try, you simply cannot make a PS4 controller work with a PS5-specific game.
The officials from Sony state in this regard, “We believe the new PS5 games should take advantage of new features and capabilities that we are bringing to the platform.”
That simply means a PS4 or any other third-party controller will not work with PS5-exclusive games.
For now, that’s the scenario but maybe it gets changed in near future.
Even if you still try opening a PS5 game with a PS4 controller, you will see a warning notice saying, “PS5 games cannot be played with DualShock 4 controller.”
How to Pair Your PS4 Controller with PS5 Console?
Pairing up a PS4 controller with a PS5 is no different than the above-mentioned pairing method.
All you have to do is to plug the controller into PS5 using a charging cable and that’s it.
You can now enjoy playing PS4 games on a PlayStation 5 console using DualShock 4 controller.
Can You Use PS5 Controller with PlayStation 4?
Nope, you cannot use a PS5 controller on PlayStation 4 because DualSense X is not designed for older versions of the PlayStation.
It will only work with PlayStation 5 and for PlayStation 4, you will still need a DualShock controller.
How to Connect PS4 Controller to iPhone and iPad?
It took Apple a long time to figure out connectivity problems but thankfully now the iPhone, iPad, and Apple TV are compatible with the PS4 controller.
Not only that, but the controller also ensures compatibility with some of the models of Xbox One controllers.
For Apple devices, the following operating systems support PS4 controllers:
- iOS 13,
- tvOS 13
- iPadOS 13
How to Connect and Pair PS4 Controller with iPhone or iPad?
Follow the steps:
- Press and hold the PS and Share buttons on your controller at the same time.
- You will see that the light bar of the PlayStation has started flashing which means, it’s now in pairing mode.
Connect the controller via Bluetooth.
- Move on to your Apple device and turn on its Bluetooth.
- Select scan for new devices and pick the wireless controller.
The controller is now paired up with the Apple device.
How to Disconnect the PS4 Controller from iPhone or iPad?
Once done using the DualShock 4 on iPhone or iPad, you can turn it off by holding the PlayStation button on the controller for 10 seconds.
- From iPhone, open Control Center on a Face-ID compatible iPhone by simply swiping diagonally from the upper right screen towards left. For Touch-ID iPhones, swipe up from bottom of the display.
- From Control Center, press and hold down the Bluetooth icon.
- In new menu, press and hold the option that says Bluetooth: On.
- From there, simply tap the Wireless controller and it will get disconnected from the iPhone.
How to Connect PS4 Controller to Android?
Devices that use Android 10 or later versions also support the DualShock 4 controller via Bluetooth.
Once connected to an Android flagship, you can use a PS4 controller to play compatible games easily.
Steps to Follow:
- Open your Android device and turn on Bluetooth from the settings or dropdown menu.
- Keep the phone in scan mode.
- Now with the controller, hold the PlayStation and Share Button for a few seconds.
- When in pairing mode, find a Wireless controller in Bluetooth devices and connect it.
- Once you get the confirmation message, it means you have connected the controller to your Android phone successfully.